This 1881 wholesale grocery warehouse features one of Staunton’s finest examples of cast iron façade ornamentation. The building, divided in half by an interior masonry wall, also retains two sets of historic freight elevators machinery, exposed brick walls, and wide plank wood flooring. The new owners used historic rehabilitation tax credits to renovate the northern half of the building. The existing first floor office space was refurbished; while a two-bedroom, three-bath loft residence was created on the second floor.
Allowing light to flow throughout the space was a key design goal. The loft features an open floor plan in the front for kitchen, dining and living areas, with bedrooms and full baths in the back. Light flows from the front and back wall windows throughout most of the spaces with the use of glass panel doors and interior wall windows. Historic features such as the wood flooring, exposed brick, and old freight elevator were retained. A new rooftop patio was also added and provides panoramic views of downtown. Frazier Associates provided full architectural services and tax credit assistance for the project.
The project was the recipient of a Historic Staunton Foundation Historic Preservation Award for the mixed-use rehabilitation.