Beginning in 1919, this brick commercial building housed many key downtown businesses including a Buick car dealership, an appliance store, a pharmacy, an auto parts store, and offices. Wanting to invest in downtown Covington, and hopefully spur additional economic development, the Alleghany Foundation, purchased the building and began rehabilitation in 2013. The Foundation was established in 1995 to improve the quality of life in the Alleghany Highlands region in the areas of economic transformation, education, health and wellness, leadership and civic vitality. This project directly related to its mission and strategic plan.
Frazier Associates served as the project architect, helping the Foundation design the back of the large building for its offices, and plan for two potential tenant spaces in the front of the building on Main Street. A new sidewalk from the front, and a new entrance and landscaping along the side elevation, were created to allow access to the Foundation offices and improve the overall appearance of the building and an adjacent parking lot. The façade received new storefront framing and entrances, new upper floor windows, new awnings, and exterior lighting.