VMI, Lexington, Va
Built in 1818 by John Jordan, one of the original builders of the school, the building is located in the Virginia Military Institute Historic District and is individually listed on the National and State Landmarks Registers. The earlier name of the building was “Stono.” Jordan’s participation in the Jeffersonian building tradition and involvement in the establishment of Lexington and VMI gives this neoclassical structure architectural and historical significance. Virginia Military Institute retained Frazier Associates to undertake a study of the Turman House and it’s related Gatehouse in order to gather the information needed to develop a treatment plan for needed maintenance and improvements to these buildings for continued use as a hospitality and housing venue.
The building provides overnight accommodations for VIP visitors to VMI on its upper level, while a separate apartment in the rear of the building houses visiting scholars. The first floor formal rooms of the original house are well preserved and provide a handsome setting for small gatherings. Frazier Associates prepared a detailed condition assessment addressing all major building and site features in order to create a comprehensive account of the repair and maintenance work needed for the building. Also included was a phasing plan and cost estimate for the project.