The Sears Hill Bridge dates from circa 1905 when the present train station, designed by noted local architect T. J. Collins, was erected. The rare iron truss pedestrian bridge is a contributing structure in the Wharf Historic District and is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge connects the Sears Hill neighborhood and park, located on the steep hill south of the tracks, to downtown Staunton, providing access for over 100 years to its residents. It is an important visual element of the Wharf District’s historic landscape, and has become a popular vantage point in recent years for tourists overlooking Staunton’s historic districts. To preserve the badly deteriorating Bridge, a volunteer group, Friends of the Sears Hill Bridge Committee, chaired by Bill Frazier, rallied community support to raise over $200,000 and coordinate the rehabilitation of this historic structure and return it to public use.
Following the installation of the rehabilitated bridge, the Committee coordinated the design and installation of these interpretive signs with Frazier Associates. The signs convey the history of train station and bridge, and recognize the community effort to preserve this important feature of the Wharf Historic District.